Hello! I’m Anna and I'm an 11 Plus English tutor and primary school teacher living in York, England. I've been teaching for over 16 years and have taught all age ranges in school, but mostly in Key Stage 2, Year 6. I have a passion for teaching English and thrive on seeing my students enjoy learning and making brilliant progress. Having taught over 1,000 children in my career, I know how to help all students to achieve their very best. Having worked in schools with some of the most demanding national progress targets, I am highly skilled at engaging children while keeping an eye on that essential quick progress!I am the founder of My Home Class online tuition, which I set up when I discovered that highly focused, small-group online teaching actually works! Children and parents really appreciate the friendly, small group approach and the pressure feels low - but the learning outcomes are very high. Education is a great investment at any time, so come and join a class today! It will be great to see you.
About me, in a nutshell:
- A qualified and highly experienced primary school teacher of 16 years, school leader and 11 Plus English group tutor.
- Ten years professional experience working as a writer and account manager in business publishing, advertising and PR in London and Manchester.
- Experience teaching ages 3-11 years, including many years in Year 6 preparing children for SATS exams, and 11 Plus group tutor for GL, CEM, CSSE and independent school admissions.
- Current enhanced DBS / safeguarding certificate.
- Safeguarding children training and certificate (from The City of York).
- Member of National Online Safety, The Tutor’s Association, The National Literacy Trust and the National Education Union.
- Full professional liability insurance.
- Excellent 5-star reviews - please see reviews page and Trustpilot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I book more than one class?
Yes. Add as many classes as you like to your basket. We send an email confirmation with Zoom links for each class.
Can I cancel a class?
Once booked, refunds are not available as per our Terms and Conditions. This is because there are limited places on each class and once a place is booked, other children are then not able to join the class. However, we would do our very best to transfer your child onto a different and more convenient class in the future. Please email us at: email@example.com. No-shows to classes are not eligible to a credit or refund.
Can I get feedback on how my child is doing?
Teachers will give immediate feedback to each student during the class, just like in school. Many longer-term courses included the benefit of weekly marked work and feedback (built in to the cost of the course). We ask for parents/guardians to monitor their child's participation during a class (but please remember to stay out of view of the camera). If you would like to email the teacher for advice after the class, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Similarly, if a teacher feels that a child has really struggled they will email the person on the booking and ask them to make contact.
What if I can't connect or I've deleted my email with the link?
Please check your Zoom link at least 10 minutes before the class. See below in our 'Technology Support' section for more help with Zoom. If you have lost the original email with the Zoom link, don't worry, we send a reminder email with the Zoom link 24-hours before the class is due to start. Please check your junk/spam folder if you can't find it. The parent login area that you join when you book a class also displays all your orders, Zoom links and any downloadable class materials.
If you are interested in classes offered, but would like to talk to us first about your child’s learning behaviours, please email Anna in the strictest of confidence. She will be able to advise on the content and format of each class and suggest a way forward. Anna has taught over a thousand children in her teaching career, and one thing is for sure – no two children are the same. However, some children will need specific strategies for learning and customised lessons to help them overcome challenges and make progress.
What Technology Do I Need?
We use Zoom for our classes. Once you book, you will receive an email with a Zoom link. You do not need to pay for Zoom, as we do this. Please test the link we send you 10 minutes before the class starts. On Zoom you can check that your video and audio are working. Just before the class, we will start the lesson and the link will become active for ‘Join live meeting’.
Click ‘Join live meeting’ to join the class. The Zoom app may ask for your permission to run. If you join before the teacher, you will see a message that says ‘Waiting for host’. Zoom asks for your permission to use the camera.
We ask for a parent/ designated adult to monitor their child's participation during a class, but please stay out of view of the camera.
How To Download Zoom
Downloading the app called Zoom is really easy and takes about 10 seconds. You don’t need a personal Zoom account, so just stop when you get to the sign-up screen.
If you have a tech issue…
Have a look at Zoom’s comprehensive help centre here:
And just on that note… My Home Class will do its best to help you if your child is experiencing technical difficulties during a class, but please remember that the teacher’s primary focus is to ensure an excellent learning experience for all learners, so their ability to troubleshoot with individual families may be limited during the lesson.
Student Safety and Conduct
Your child’s safety is our top priority. We safeguard children in a variety of ways.
- Your teacher has a current enhanced DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) check because they will be a practicing primary teacher in schools in this 2020/ 2021 academic year.
- Zoom is a secure online network, and only those purchasing a place on the class can gain access to the lesson. Children keep their cameras on for registration at the start of a class, then can turn them off if they wish.
- Live lessons taught on Zoom will not be recorded or shared because children keep their videos and sound on and annotate our shared screen. We cannot share this publicly for safeguarding reasons.
- Data collected will be the parent’s email and name and the student’s name and age.
The teacher will run through how we expect children to conduct themselves during the class. We ask that children keep their camera on for registration (for safeguarding reasons), but they can turn it off after this if they want to. Please ensure a designated adult is monitoring your learners’ participation in a class, but please stay out of view of the camera. For more information, please read our Safeguarding Policy.
Be Internet Safe
Children need to be internet savvy and safe. There are some great websites out there. Some that we use in our primary schools regularly are shown below in the links.
- Think You Know
- Internet Matters
- Common Sense Media – This organisation provides advice on media consumption for children, including an overview of privacy and internet safety and tips for different ages.
- National Online Safety – This is a brilliant resource for teachers and parents. Join up for free and download ‘What parents need to know’ guides on nearly every online game or internet issue.
When booking a class, My Home Class uses ‘Shopify’ online booking and payment system. This booking and payment portal has its own privacy and data policy which gives details on how your data and personal information is kept secure.download policy
We regularly review and update our safeguarding policy.download policy
Terms & Conditions
My Home Class has Public Liability Insurance.download terms & conditions